Growth Mindset: A Familiar Phrase

The first time I had ever heard the phrase "growth mindset", I was sitting in a district meeting, surrounded by my fellow retail store managers, as our boss preached of this scientifically-backed hack to improve our performance.  At that point in my career, I was a little too comfortable in my position and was actively dismissing everything I heard as corporate mumbo-jumbo to motivate the more impressionable of us in the room.  I was already doing well, no need to drink the kool-aid.

Corporate motivational - Credit: memgenerator.net


As stubborn as I was, it was inevitable that I learned more about the idea of "growth mindset", as it remained a common theme in meetings with my boss throughout the years. 

Although there are many facets to a growth mindset, it spoke most to me as an encourager for practicing a positive mental attitude.  The perspective of how each individual looks at a given problem is so often looked over, but so clearly a huge factor in the outcome.  Being able to look at shortcomings in a positive light by viewing them as opportunities, and not letting good results be the cause of stagnation remain goals that I strive for still in my work today.

I am now, of course, more thankful that I was introduced to a growth mindset, and was pleasantly surprised to see it again in my coursework here at OU.

Comments