Week 2 Reading Overview

I am choosing the PDE Ramayana Online version to read.  I like reading from my computer, and I don't mind that the selection has multiple authors, styles, and older language.  I am also looking forward to the illustrations, and the option for audio if I am inclined.  The addition of links and notes is always nice to give a deeper dive into subjects that are intriguing.

The comic books that were most interesting to me at first glance were Ganesha, because the image of the elephant head on a human body was familiar but I do not know any of the background story behind the iconic image, and Hakka and Bukka because I like stories of brothers going on epic adventures together, as I have two brothers myself, and because the plot sounded fun.

A familiar image of Ganesha - Image Source: Walters Art Museum

I was really surprised to see the first video in the given list was a description of the "Dancing Shiva" written by one of my favorite authors Aldous Huxley.  I have Huxley's short stories and novels, but I was not aware of his knowledge and appreciation for the Indian culture.  I also enjoyed this video, as it reinforces much of what I had learned from my previous mythology class, that so many of the separate culture's ancient stories have the exact same themes, and often a lot of them contain the same uncanny events, like an epic flood that wipes out most of humanity.

Comments