Week 2 Story: Frederick the Turtle

There was once a turtle named Frederick who lived in a tank inside the nicest Chinese
buffet in all of Elliot, a small town in Florida.  Of course, in this small town, there were
only so many Chinese buffets. In fact, there were only two.  But the one Frederick lived in
was nicer and even had two aquariums harboring different kinds of fish, and of course,
Frederick the lone turtle.

Even though Frederick lived in the nicer of the two Chinese buffets, he was in the smaller tank of the two at his restaurant. He was upset by this and longed to be transferred to the bigger tank and have more room to swim. Every day kids would come up to his tank, stare at him for a few seconds, and move on to look at the big colorful fish in the bigger tank.

Life of a turtle in a tank - Photo Credit: pelican

Every Sunday morning was tank cleaning day, and one of these Sundays the tank cleaner talked to the owner about moving the turtle in the small tank to the big tank.  Of course, Frederick did not hear this, nor did he speak Mandarin.

When the tank cleaner reached down to grab Frederick and transfer him to the other tank, Frederick had no idea what was going on.  He assumed the tank cleaner was going to harm him, or even worse, take him to live in the tank at the 2nd best Chinese buffet in Elliot, an unlivable nightmare.

 As Frederick was being carried across the lobby to the bigger tank, he panicked and went for a chomp of the tank cleaner's hand.  His chomp landed on the tip of the tank cleaner's finger, and immediately the poor tank cleaner threw up his hand in pain and sent Frederick flying through the air.

Frederick soared through the air and landed plop back into his old tank.  He couldn't believe it. He made it back to his old tank alive.  He was so happy that he was still alive that he had a new-found appreciation for life and no longer even cared about being in the bigger tank...at least for a time.  It wasn't long before Frederick would swim around his tank and wonder how great life could be if he could just make it to the bigger tank.

Author's Note

I adapted this story from the Indian folktale of the Turtle and the Geese.  My adaptation doesn't result in the death of a turtle, and also deviates slightly off the message of the first one and adds the extra theme that ignorance is bliss.

Bibliography

Comments

  1. Hi Mason,
    What a cute story! What was your idea about why you decided to write about a turtle in a tank at a Chinese buffet? You made me now have a craving for Chinese food haha. I would add a little more in your author's note to be more specific on how you changed the story! Other than that, I am glad Frederick didn't die after biting the worker's finger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mason! You are so creative, I could never have thought about putting this kind of a twist on the story! Haha, it took me a minute to figure out what story you were retelling but I absolutely loved it. It's sad Frederick didn't realize he was being taken to the other bigger tank, but I'm happy Frederick went back "home" safe and sound! Great Job, I can't wait to read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mason!
    I thought your details about the Chinese buffet made this story really funny and easy to follow. I'd love to know more about what makes the other Chinese buffet so terrible. I'm not sure Fredrick's ignorance is all that blissful considering he is still disappointed by the lack of space in his tank but I like how ironic it is that he ends up preventing the fulfillment of his wish. Also, I think the spacing in the first paragraph looks a little funny and kind of distracted me at the beginning but that's an easy fix. Overall, I really enjoyed your story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mason,

    I love the way you went about retelling The Turtle and the Geese! The Chinese buffet setting was a very interesting and creative choice. I like your extra twist of the ignorance is bliss theme as well as your change with the turtle not dying. What made you come up with those ideas? I really enjoyed reading this story. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mason,
    I like what you did with this story. It definitely does have a different message from the original, and it feels less morbid. I think it is also more relatable though because both people and turtles I guess easily turn back to their old ways of thinking even if we had an extreme reason to change our views. I wonder if the turtle did get into the bigger tank would he desire an even bigger tank that didn’t exist, or does he only desire what he can see.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment