Week 4 Story: Ramayana Microfiction Riff

Rama Returns

Fourteen years. My exile is over.

My brother stands before me to crown me king.

My people rejoice and the kingdom prospers.

My exile is over.

The Ashoka Grove

A long journey has lead Hanuman here, to Ashoka Grove, in search of Rama's maiden, Sita.  And here she waits in the grove, surrounded by terribly monstrous she-demons.  So it goes.

Hanuman finds Sita - Credit: Wikipedia Commons

Author's Note

Rama Returns is a microfiction with a hint of poetry based on the return of Rama after his 14-year exile.  His brother is there to welcome him in and crown him as the king.

The Ashoka Grove is another microfiction based on Hanuman's arrival to the Ashoka Grove in search of Sita, as told in the Ramayana.  I wrote this one in a sort of tongue-in-cheek style, and I even steal one of Kurt Vonnegut's famous lines from Slaughterhouse-Five in "So it goes."


Bibliography

Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913)

Comments

  1. I liked your way of telling the story! I have not yet seen a poetic interpretation of this type of story before, so it was really interesting. You still managed to get a lot of emotion and detail into the setting of it, even with a shorter, more prose rendition of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mason,
    I really liked the “Rama Returns” microfiction poem thingy. The way that you use the phrase “My exile is over” I think really helps emphasize how big of a deal the exile was and how big of a deal his return is. I also liked your story about Ashoka grove. I think you picked a good picture for this story especially because the demons don’t look all so bad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment